Reaching into Kenya’s far north eastern corner is the town of Wajir, an administrative centre in the middle of Kenya’s vast northern desert. The majority of people around Wajir live a nomadic life in an arid environment which, only just, supports camel, cattle, sheep, goats and donkeys.
Wajir is a Borana word that means coming together, bequeathed to this part of the country because of the different clans and pastoral communities that used to congregate in areas around Wajir town to water their animals from the abundant and dependable shallow wells that characterize the general land geomorphology.
The Wajir Museum houses an exhibition that reflects the traditions and the customs of communities past and present living in the region. It also hosts several other interesting sites and monuments including the Wagalla Massacre Site, Yahut Dam, Shaletey Wells, monumental buildings, wartime British and Italian bunkers and Orpahey wells.
Due to its centrality to all major town in the region, With its abundant water resources and shallow wells and high human traffic, the British officially established Wajir Town in 1912, to serve as their colonial headquarters. The town Wajir town is now one of the oldest in Kenya after Malindi and Mji wa Kale in Mombasa. Its Centennial Anniversary was marked in 2012 with week longweek-long celebrations amid much pomp and colour.